Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Oil Painter and Printmaker Inspired to Make Images of Nature

I paint landscapes that are documenting my experiences with the northwest wilderness. To structure my images I use resources of sketches, writings, photographs, and found materials from my hikes or backpacking trips. Through the process of manipulating an image, a different kind of representation occurs. By using abstraction, I investigate new ways of seeing nature.

As I walked into the wilderness I entered a moment of being more aware of the simple forest. In the surroundings mountains extended for miles both directions and wrapped around my body. I looked up and saw the tall Douglas Fir Trees with branches that made shapes of various triangles. Than I glanced down at the decayed natural materials that created an asymmetrical pattern beneath my moving feet. When making the images I let myself get lost and trust my instinct. Rather than creating a photorealistic image, I make an illusion that brings the viewer to unexpected realms of imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment