Tuesday, October 4, 2016

How to Master Color Theory

There are rules in color theory that I use when creating a color palette for a painting.

When I'm choosing the "Pure colors" to start my palette I think about how color is presented on the color wheel. I generally pick out one of each primary(red, yellow, and blue), secondary (green, orange, and purple), and tertiary colors (yellow-orange, red-orange, red-purple, blue-purple, blue-green, and yellow-green)  along with white (my preference is Titanium White).

When placing pigment on the palette I lay things out so that like colors sit next to each other. Sometimes I approach laying out color in a creative ways as you see in the example below.

It's important for me to spend at least 30 minutes to an hour mixing colors, so that I don't paint with any colors that come straight from the tube.


Knowing about these rules can help me figure out how to mix colors and create a palette:

1. Warm vs Cool: The color will either be warm colors (yellow, red, and orange) or cool colors (purple, blue, and green)
2. Hue: The hue means pure color, but some colors need to have tints and shades (to add black or white).
3. Saturation: The saturation is when the color is brighter or duller in the color intensity.
4.Analogous: Colors next to each other on the color wheel.
5.Complementry: Colors opposite of each other on the color wheel.
6. Split Complementry: Combines one base color with the two colors directly adjacent to its opposite or complementary color and not with the complementary color.



I hope this guild helps and inspires you to mix some colors. So, Happy Mixing!!!



Check out my website for images of my paintings: http://www.meganwainwright.com/
For some more in progress images check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roaming_creator/
To purchase some of my original art check out my Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoamingCreator?ref=l2-shopheader-name
Feel free to email me if you have any questions: wainwrightmeganlynne@gmail.com

#walkinginthewilderness #colortheory #oilpainter #pdxart #gamblingcolors #gambling #palette  


No comments:

Post a Comment